It’s now August. Even though the new year kicks off in January, there’s something about the fall and the beginning of another academic year that makes me feel like September is the start of the year. You buy a few new clothes, sharpen the pencils, get the papers and digital documents in order, and it’s go time.
There’s so much riding on this year, though, it seems. As writers we raise the stakes for our characters to keep readers interested. Right now, that’s what it feels like for me—some writer’s got me in a crazy situation! There’s a lot going on.
For starters, my long-anticipated terminal degree program is now a reality. I start in 4 weeks. That can’t be changed. Some of these other goals for the end of the year might not get met, but here goes….
My goals to be accomplished by December 31, 2015:
1. Finish my second short story (By September)
2. Shop second short story (Beginning in October)
3. Edit novel #1 in series (By October)
4. Outline novel #2 in series, have ideas already (By October)
5. Send novel #1 out to editor (November)
6. Use NaNoWriMo to write 50,000 words of novel #2 (November 30)
7. Continue shopping first short story from Taos until sold (Hopefully before 12/31/15)
8. Complete semester #1 of MFA program. (December 18)
Oh, and somewhere in there, prep for Fall teaching, and read a few good books.
What are you gearing up for?